Easter just is not Easter without a hot cross bun! And this hot cross buns recipe will leave you drooling and asking for more!
Got some time this weekend? We made these hot cross buns today as part of our fun Easter activities with our kids. If we can do it, you can do it too!!
Why not give these Easter buns a try?
RELATED: Easter printables for kids – click here
- Two tsp dried instant yeast
- 500g plain flour
- 90g sugar
- One tsp salt
- One tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 1/4 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- 300ml milk
- 60g butter
- One egg (large)
- 140g sultanas or other dried fruit
- Two tbsp self-raising flour
- Two tbsp sifted icing sugar
- Two tbsp cold water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 150ml boiling water
- Sift together yeast, flour, sugar, salt and spices to evenly distribute.
- In a small saucepan, gently heat milk over a low temperature and melt in butter.
- Beat egg in a separate bowl.
- Add milk and butter mixture to dry mixture and mix thoroughly. Add the egg and mix well to form a dough.
- Work in dried fruit.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10-minutes or until it feels smooth and no longer sticky.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in warm spot to prove for one-hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and separate into 12 equal portions.
- Place buns close together on a lightly greased baking tray. Cover and allow to rise for one-hour or until doubled in size and very light.
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- To make the crosses, mix flour and water thoroughly to form a thick paste. Spoon into a zip-lock bag, cut a little whole out of the corner of the bag and use to pipe the mixture into crosses on top of the buns.
- Bake the topped buns for 15-20-minutes.
- To make the glaze, mix together all ingredients, dissolving the sugar in boiling water. Brush the glaze over the buns lightly while still hot.
- Serve warm with butter and enjoy!
More easy after school snacks
- Fairy bread baked donuts
- Easy mini zucchini quiche
- Macadamia craisin biscuits
- Easy muesli bar recipe
- Banana strawberry bread
- Apple doughnut recipe
- Peanut butter milkshake recipe
- Little mason jar nachos
- Sundried tomato zucchini muffins
- Pizza toasties
- Choc chickpea fudge recipe
- Vegemite scrolls
- Easter Bunny Biscuits
- Mini Carrot cakes