Baked, not fried – Fairy Bread Baked Donuts
Inspired by a childhood spent licking sprinkles off Fairy Bread, these Fairy Bread Baked Donuts are a bit of a treat for young and old.
Recipe and images by Elise Clarkson from Pixels and Sunshine for Families Magazine – Gold Coast
Fairy Bread Baked Donuts
Super fun to make and even more fun to eat, you’ll impress at your next party, cake stall or play date with these gorgeous Fairy Bread Baked Donuts by Pixels and Sunshine
Ingredients for the donuts:
- 2 cups of self raising flour
- 1 ½ cups of buttermilk
- ¾ cups of sugar
- 50 grams of butter
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons of vanilla extract
For the cream cheese glaze:
- 115 grams butter
- 100 grams cream cheese
- 2 ½ cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp milk
- 100’s and 1000’s for sprinkling
Directions for the baked donuts:
- Begin by greasing your donut trays and setting your oven to 180ºC.
- Melt butter and set aside to cool a little.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, sift flour and mix dry ingredients together.
- Next make a well in the centre of the dry mixture and add the egg, melted butter and gently mix together, adding in the buttermilk gradually until the mixture forms into a sticky, cakey dough.
- Spoon approx two heaped dessert spoons of mixture into each hole on your pre-greased donut tray. Take care not to overfill the pan as the donuts will rise.
- Bake at 180ºC for 15-20 minutes.
Directions for the cream cheese glaze:
- For the glaze, beat the butter and cream cheese together with an electric beater on high until smooth and well combined. Approx five mins.
- Add in the icing sugar ½ a cup at a time, making sure to tap/scrape down the sides of the bowl as you go. Once the icing sugar is all in, add the vanilla and the milk one teaspoon at a time.
- The glaze should be thick and not runny. If you lift up a spoon and it drips of quickly then add some more icing sugar. You want to be able to lift up a spoonful and have it drip off at a sloth-like pace.
- Liberally glaze and decorate your pre-cooled donuts on a wire rack with some baking paper underneath to catch drips and sprinkles.
The nitty gritty:
- Makes approx 18 donuts
- Recipe will take 1-1.5 hours to complete with glaze and sprinkling
- Here’s a link to some healthy, colour and additive free 100’s and 1000’s
- You will lick the cream cheese glaze bowl A LOT … and that’s okay!