Bunny Down a Hole Mini Carrot Cakes | Easter Cooking with Kids!
Bunny Down a Hole Mini Carrot Cakes is without a doubt the cutest thing we have seen this Easter. And here’s how to make them!
Ingredients for the carrot cakes:
- 185 gr brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 185 ml sunflower oil
- 225 gr wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bi-carbonate soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 cups of coarsely grated carrot
Ingredients for the topping
- 185 gr of icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 50 gr plain chocolate biscuits
- 10 gr green sprinkles
- 6 large marshmallows cut in half (for the feet)
- 12 small marshmallows (for the tails)
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius and line a muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Place the sugar, eggs and oil in a large mixing bowl and whisk together to mix well.
- Sift the flour, bi-carbonate soda, cinnamon and mixed spice into the bowl and if you find some husks from the wholemeal flour, add these to the bowl and stir well.
- Stir in the carrot until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the cupcake cases.
- Bake in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out completely clean.
- Place onto a wire rack to completely cool.
- Sift the icing sugar into a small mixing bowl along with the orange juice and warm water – just enough to make a smooth thick mixture. (You may not need all the water).
- Spread a thin layer over each cake and down the sides.
- Whiz the chocolate biscuits up in the blender and tip into a bowl so you can dip each cake into it.
- Carefully roll each cake in the green sprinkles to create the ‘grass’ and then dip in the chocolate biscuit ‘dirt’.
- Cut up the marshmallows and decorate one at a time. ie cut one marshmallow and place, sticky side down onto the dirt – push down a little.
- Same with the tail – cut a third off the mini mallow and stick the 2/3 into the dirt.
- Add a little more warm water to the leftover icing mixture and add a touch of cocoa to make a looser icing mix.
- Use a cooking paintbrush to paint on the feet.
Recipe with thanks to Janine Brush.
More easy after school snacks
- Fairy bread baked donuts
- Easy mini zucchini quiche
- Macadamia craisin biscuits
- Easy muesli bar recipe
- Banana strawberry bread
- Apple doughnut recipe
- Peanut butter milkshake recipe
- Little mason jar nachos
- Sundried tomato zucchini muffins
- Pizza toasties
- Choc chickpea fudge recipe
- Vegemite scrolls
- Easter Bunny Biscuits