Vegemite scrolls are a super easy afternoon tea idea that can get your kids in the kitchen AND save you a bunch of money at the bakery!
Vegemite Scrolls – the easiest afternoon tea you’ll ever make!
Vegemite scrolls are an absolute favourite at Families Magazine. There’s something so ‘Aussie’ about them and they’re the perfect afternoon tea treat. It’s an easy recipe that can get little ones involved in cooking which they always love!
We realised, though, that stopping off at the bakery on the way home was starting to add up. In the interests in teaching our kids about financial literacy, we realised that this was truly a snack we could be making ourselves! Here’s how we do it…
What do we need?
- Shredded cheese
- Short-cut pastry
- Oven tray
- Baking paper
- One egg (whisked)
- Pastry brush
What do we do?
- Pre-heat the oven. We usually put it at about 200 degrees or so but it’ll depend on your oven.
- Make sure that the pastry is nice and pliable. If littler kids are helping you, be prepared for a bit of wastage as they try to figure out how to manipulate it.
- Turn your square of pastry so it is a diamond.
- Spread vegemite down the centre.
- Cover the vegemite line in cheese.
- Twist and fold the pastry so it’s in a line and then bend it in over itself so it forms a little circle.
- Place onto the baking paper on your prepared baking tray.
- Using a pastry brush, coat the scroll in whisked egg. This will make it brown nicely in the oven.
- Put it in the oven. Keep an eye on it. We usually put ours in for about 10 minutes or so until they’re nice and crunchy.
These are great as a treat and they’re pretty darn filling, too! They do well in lunchboxes but are best served heated up a little with a nice big glass of milk or water.
Is your tummy grumbling? Wait until you get a load of our gluten-free self-saucing lemon pudding recipe!
More easy after school snacks
- Fairy bread baked donuts
- Easy mini zucchini quiche
- Macadamia craisin biscuits
- Easy muesli bar recipe
- Banana strawberry bread
- Apple doughnut recipe
- Peanut butter milkshake recipe
- Little mason jar nachos
- Sundried tomato zucchini muffins
- Pizza toasties
- Choc chickpea fudge recipe
- Bunny hole mini carrot cakes