These easy zucchini slice muffins can be whipped up in 20 minutes, the kids can help grate, mix, measure and pour for a great mid afternoon snack or lunch box filler that kids love!
Our chickens provided the eggs!
We have 6 chickens so we are always looking for great, healthy recipes that we use use the eggs in. This zucchini slice muffins recipe is a crowd pleaser in our house!
Our garden provided the zucchini, tomatoes and parsley.
Gardening with kids is a GREAT way to get them to learn about where our food comes from. We’ve also found it a great way to help them actually eat what we prepare. If they are part of the process, research shows that they will be more inclined to eat the food they grow, pick and make or bake. (I dont mind helpers when it comes to weeding either!)
The shops provided the rest of the ingredients
150gr (1 cup) self raising flour, softed
375gr zucchini, grated
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
4 large sprigs of parsley, finely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
200gr rindless bacon. chopped
150gr (1 cup) grated cheddar cheese
60 mls (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius. Grease cupcake/muffin tins.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl until combines
- Add the sifted flour and beat until smooth.
- Add zucchini, tomatoes, parsley, onion, bacon, cheese and oil and stir well to combine.
- Pour into the prepared cupcake/muffin time
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until cooked
Let them cool down slightly before serving, but I think these zucchini slice muffins are best enjoyed warm.
However they CAN be frozen and put in lunchboxes for school or work – they are bite size and our kids love them! Let me know what you think in comments below!
Variation – use pastry to make our easy zucchini mini quiche recipe.
Even more muffin recipes
- Sticky date muffins
- Berry yoghurt muffins
- Vegetable packed savoury muffins
- Choc-orange muffins
- Polenta, sundried tomato and zucchini muffins
Looking for more quick and healthy recipes?
- This simple to prepare chicken pizza recipe requires ingredients you probably have on hand and will be ready in just 20 minutes.
- Try our beef and broccoli slow cooker recipe here.
- This healthier cob loaf recipe includes everything you love about a traditional cob loaf plus a few hidden vegies to give growing bodies what they need.