50 Ways to Entertain Your Kids Without Screens
Looking to entertain your kids without screens? We’ve put our collective heads together here in the office and worked out 50 things that kids can do to have fun, that don’t require screens. You. Are. Welcome!
Entertain your kids without screens:
There are SO MANY benefits to getting kids off screens, so here are our top 50 ways to entertain kids without screens
Use Your Imagination
- Make paper airplanes out of coloured paper.
- Cut out paper dolls and accessories from newspapers or magazines.
- Create doll houses and furniture out of felt pieces.
- Build skyscrapers out of Legos or Tinker Toys.
- Use large cardboard boxes to create kid-sized houses that the kids can decorate.
Spend Time with Family
- Look through photo albums or school memorabilia.
- Use your talents to create a family variety show.
- Cook dinner together or bake cookies.
- Sing karaoke or have a dance party.
- Listen to a book on CD together every night.
- Take a walk around the neighbourhood with the dogs or a friend’s dogs.
- Roller blade around cones in a parking lot or visit a skate park or skate centre.
- Head to the park for a trip across the monkey bars.
- Jump rope in the driveway.
- Go on an outdoor treasure hunt.
- Plant a garden.
- Have an indoor picnic or an outdoor picnic here.
- Use watercolors to paint a summer sky.
- Make a kite out of sticks and a kitchen garbage bag.
- Buy a caterpillar to butterfly kit and watch it grow.
Make a Game of It
- Pick card games like Uno, Hearts or Rummy.
- Try a dice game like Tenzi or LCR.
- Bring out the board games – classics like Sorry! or Monopoly.
- Create a Battleship game out of two pizza boxes.
- Tape a tic-tac-toe board on the floor and use coloured bean bags for the X and O.
Expand Your Mind
- Play Sudoku or complete a word search.
- Browse the library for a good book.
- Set up a home laboratory and create some science experiments.
- Put together a model car.
- Work a puzzle.
- Make homemade play dough
- Build structures with marshmallows and toothpicks.
- Create pasta people with glue and a variety of pasta shapes.
- Use duct tape and cardboard to make swords and shields.
- Design Popsicle stick snowflakes, paint white and hang in the windows.
Do Something for Animals
- Teach your dog a new trick.
- String popcorn on a string or make homemade suet for the birds.
- Collect towels and blankets for the animal shelter.
- Create a maze for your cat, dog, guinea pig, chickens.
- Make a no-sew pet bed for your cat.
Get Out and Go
- Go bowling.
- Play indoor laser tag.
- Head to the pool for a game of Marco Polo or if it’s cold – try one of these heated pools.
- Get messy with a game of paintball.
- Try rock climbing.
Play Road Trip Games at Home
- Name that Tune – Turn on the radio and see how quickly you can identify the songs.
- I Spy – Describe something in the house so the other players can guess what it is.
- Alphabet Game – Name animals, foods or athletes starting with the letter A, then B and so on.
- Mad Libs – Fill in the blanks to a short story with nouns, verbs and adjectives.
- Play Bingo – You will find free printable bingo sheets online.