How to Host a Street Party for Halloween
When I was a kid, we knew all the neighbours. We knew which neighbours were kindly ladies and which houses to avoid! Our parents also knew how to host a street party that would draw everyone together.
Everyone in the street would get involved and the footpaths and front yards would be lined with plastic chairs and kids playing. I say, we bring back the neighbourhood parties.
Halloween is the perfect occasion to get a neighbourhood street party together. It doesn’t have to be huge and it’s easy to organise. Here’s how to host a Halloween Street Party …
Update: Due to COVID-19 please consider the restrictions for your area when planning a street party.
How to organise the perfect street party this Halloween
Halloween street parties let your neighbours get creative with jack-o-lanterns and scary decorations. It’s a perfect “first time” street party because trick or treating is all about going door to door. Organising is pretty simple!
- Create a “flyer” that details your idea. Encourage neighbours to dress up their home, set up a haunted “front yard”. Be clear that your goal is to make the neighbourhood a little wonderland for kids and to foster good neighbourhood relations. It’s a community event after all.
- Let them know that you’ll be hosting the street party and invite them down to your front yard for a sausage sizzle or some “scary cupcakes”. It’s more about neighbours getting together than the catering so you don’t have to go to too much trouble.
- Encourage them to spend the evening out front of their homes so that neighbours can chat and kids feel welcome.
- Buy a bag of black or orange balloons. Include in your flyer instructions that if they’re happy to participate in the street party and trick or treating, to tie the balloon to their letterbox on the night. This allows neighbours to “opt in” and avoids making anyone cranky!
- Invite your friends! The more the merrier at a Halloween street party! Get dressed up, get the kids excited! Make your neighbourhood one of those amazing places to grow up. Get to know the neighbours your children will grow up with. Halloween is the perfect excuse to get outdoors – and there’s nothing more fun than a ghoulish Halloween event in your neighbourhood!
Are you hosting a Halloween Street Party? We’d love to list it so your whole suburb can come check out your scary decorations!
Are your neighbours already getting ready for Halloween?
We are regularly receiving updates from neighbourhoods keen to share their Halloween events with the wider community. Check out our list of trick or treating locations and Halloween Brisbane events here.
RELATED: Here is our kids guide to the real meaning of Halloween.
Need a great costume for your street party?
We love a themed party! Here are more themed party ideas:
- Pool party ideas in Brisbane
- Dinosaur themed party ideas
- Harry Potter themed party ideas
- Frozen Party ideas
- Minion party ideas
- Slumber party ideas
- Minecraft party ideas
- Pirate themed party ideas
- How to throw a Christmas street party