The Ginger Factory – day trips From Brisbane with kids
The Ginger Factory is a tourist attraction at Yandina on the Sunshine Coast. They are open 7 days a week (excluding Christmas Day), from 9am to 5pm, and have free admission. It is a family friendly space where children can play in their playground conveniently right next to the cafe. The attractions are designed with kids in mind, so there is a lot for the kids to look at, touch and taste. Families can wander through the gardens, buy memorabilia and treats in Ginger Town, and sample the largest selection of Buderim Ginger products in the world.
Ginger Factory – costs
This can be a cheap day trip from Brisbane, depending on how you plan your time and what you would like to see. Entry to the Ginger Factory is free, and you can take a picnic lunch to enjoy in their lovely tropical gardens. Enjoy a stroll through acres of exotic plant-life with beautiful water features and wonderful photo opportunities.
Alternatively you can buy lunch in the Ginger Cafe. You can also enjoy the heritage-style village of Ginger Town. Here you will find a range of shops offering Australian souvenirs, hand-made porcelain dolls, motoring memorabilia, sweet treats and condiments as well as a vast range of scents and herbal products.
The Ginger Factory offers packages you can purchase that allow you to choose what you would like to experience and how much you would like to spend. The range of experiences on offer include:
- The Ginger Train – Hop on board ‘Moreton’ the historic cane train for a leisurely tour through the beautiful gardens. Cost of tickets – Individual (adult, senior or children)Tour Times: 9.30am – 4.30pm trains run regularly and take 15 minutes.
- The Overboard Ride – Go ‘Overboard’ with the gingerbread man on a fantastic voyage around the world. Will he escape the clutches of the hungry chefs? Find out when you embark on this meandering water adventure ride for all the family. Cost of tickets – Individuals (adults or children): $13.00, Senior: $13.00, Family: $50.00. Tour Times: 9.30am – 4.00pm continuous daily
- Live Bee Show and Honey Tasting – Experience the fascinating world of the honeybee as beekeepers share with you the hidden secrets of the hive. To finish off this experience you will be taken into the Ginger Shop and given a taste of many different varietals of beautiful honey. Cost of tickets – Adult: $16.50, Senior: $15.00, Child: $13.50, Family: $65.00. Tour Times: 11.00am, 12.00pm, 1.30pm, 2.30pm
- The Factory Tour and Tasting – See how ginger is grown, harvested and turned into a delicious range of products, many of which you get to taste for yourself. Cost of tickets – Adult: $16.50, Senior: $15.00, Child: $13.50, Family: $65.00. Tour Times: 10.00am, 12.00pm, 1.30pm, 2.30pm, 3.30pm daily
- Ginger Harvest Tour and Tasting – new tour launching March 2023! Join one of the knowledgeable, passionate tour guides as they take you on the ultimate ginger journey. This hands-on, premier experience is held within The Ginger Factory Farm Garden and offers an in-depth look into the growth cycle of ginger, the long and colourful history of ginger growing on the Sunshine Coast and the medicinal benefits of this extraordinary plant. At the end of the tour, you get to taste the Buderim Ginger wellness range. Adults: $20, Seniors: $16.50, Child: $13.50, Family: $75. Tour times: 11am, 1pm
In addition, the Ginger Factory offers various bundle deals on tickets. Choose between the ‘Play, Taste and Discover Bundle’, the ‘Play Bundle’, the ‘Taste and Discover Bundle’ or the ‘Play All Day Bundle’ depending on which activities you’re interested in.
My children love the Overboard ride and the Ginger Train, while my husband and I love the Factory Tour. All four of us find the Super Bee Tour excellent.
We have done it twice now and have learnt something new each time. The presenters are always really engaging and funny.
Getting to Ginger Factory from Brisbane
The Ginger Factory is located at 50 Pioneer Rd, Yandina QLD. To get to the Ginger Factory from Brisbane, you can use the following options:
- By car – take the Bruce Highway, and take Exit 215.
- By public transport – You can take Sunbus services to get to The Ginger Factory. Route 631, travelling through Noosa, Cooroy, Eumundi, Yandina and Nambour, is the most convenient. Visit www.translink.com.au for timetable information.
- In addition, lots of tour companies visit The Ginger Factory as part of their Sunshine Coast itineraries. For more information visit Bonzer Travel, Australian Day Tours, Storeyline Tours, Sunair Bus Services, Suncoast Half Day Tours, and Scenic Hinterland.
I would recommend the Ginger Factory for a family outing. I love the peacefulness that I find there. The gardens are lovely and I really enjoy sitting in the cafe and drinking my coffee in peace while the children play in the playground.
My kids also love decorating the Gingerbread men and women that are available for purchase. You buy a pre-made Gingerbread man/woman and it comes with coloured icing, jellybeans, and a paddlepop stick so the kids can smear the icing on. My children get an enormous amount of pleasure out of this activity.
Want more day trips from Brisbane? Check out these:
We love day tripping out of Brisbane. So much, that we have written a tonne of articles about it!
South / Gold Coast day trip ideas
- Springfield National Park day trip with kids
- Mt Tamborine day trip with kids
- Burleigh Headland National Park
- Cedar Creek Falls, Mt Tamborine day trip
North / Sunshine Coast day trip ideas
- Day trip to Old Petrie Town
- Booloumba Falls, Conondale National Park day trip with kids
- Kondalilia National Park day trip
- Gardners Falls day trip with kids
- Bongaree Beach on Bribie Island day trip
- Best things to do on a Noosa day trip
- Stony Creek near Woodford day trip