A Day Trip to Wivenhoe Dam for Families
Wivenhoe Dam offers an oasis of family-friendly outdoor adventure! It’s right on our doorstep – so why haven’t you been yet?
Wivenhoe Dam | South-East QLD’s Little Slice of Heaven
Need a day in nature to reconnect and recharge with the kids? A day trip to Wivenhoe Dam could be just what you need. .
It’s an easy hour’s drive from Brisbane along picturesque country roads. Once you get there it’s a case of finding your own great big patch of grass to chill out, relax and enjoy that great big water view. Dogs and watercraft with motors are banned from Lake Wivenhoe so there’s no annoying noise pollution to spoil your day trip.
NOTE: Dogs and watercraft with motors are banned from Lake Wivenhoe so there’s no annoying noise pollution to spoil your day trip.
Things to do at Wivenhoe Dam
- There is a small beach area for the kids to play and frolic. You can swim or use kayaks and stand up paddle boards. Fishing is allowed with a permit.
- When the kids are sick of paddling and splashing about in the water, there is an AMAZING playground area that’s only recently been refurbished!
- There are under cover picnic tables galore and plenty of benches and free BBQ’s to cook up a lunchtime storm. There are also ample toilets, including disabled toilets that are clean and well maintained.
- There is carpark that has plenty of room for coaches if you’re planning on bringing the whole extended family.
- You can grab a take away coffee or a relaxing lunch with spectacular views of the dam at the Cormorant Bay café which is a short 8 minute drive from Wivenhoe dam. Fernvale also has a great little bakery and if you plan your Wivenhoe dam daytrip for a Sunday you can visit the burgeoning local markets at Fernvale too.
- If you’re keen to add in a little education with the relaxing, swimming and playing, you can visit the Lake Wivenhoe Education Centre at Fernvale.
Getting to Wivenhoe Dam from Brisbane
You can get to Wivenhoe Dam via the M2 and Brisbane Valley Highway. It’s arelaxing drive with some beautiful scenery along the way. Depending on traffic it’ll take you around an hour to get there.
A day trip to Wivenhoe Dam is a great way to spend time with the family in the great outdoors. Why travel far when there’s so much beauty right on our doorstep?
Want more day trips from Brisbane? Check out these:
We love day tripping out of Brisbane. So much, that we have written a tonne of articles about it!