Get Started | Government Sport Vouchers
Are you looking to find out more about Government Sport Vouchers?
The Queensland Government contributes $150 towards eligible children and young people’s sporting or recreation club costs to help families with the costs associated with these activities, as part of the ‘Get in the Game’ initiative. The $150 Government Sport Vouchers can be used towards membership and/or participation costs. We’ve listed the details you need to find out if you are eligible and the links so you can apply.
Who is eligible for the Government Sport Vouchers?
To be eligible for the Government Sport Vouchers to apply you must meet certain criteria. At the time of the application:
- the child must be a Queensland resident aged from 5 to 17 (inclusive) and
- the child, or their parent, carer or guardian, holds a Centrelink Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession Card, or
- the child’s application is supported by two referral agents
The rules have changed and now eligible children are only entitled to one voucher per calendar year. So you cannot get one for a summer sport and one for a winter sport!
What is a ‘Referral Agent?
If you need a referral agent this is someone who must complete part of the application form for your child. You will need to find TWO DIFFERENT referral agents from the list below. Each one must be currently employed in one of the following positions:
- school principal
- youth justice case worker/child safety officer
- Government officer who holds an Identified position and regularly engages with Indigenous clients
- health promotion worker/officer employed by a Queensland Aboriginal and Islander Health Council (QAIHC) member organisation or Primary Health Networks
- multicultural services officer
- police officer working with children/families in need.
Please note: school teachers, local councillors, council youth development officers and members of parliament are no longer eligible to be referral agents. For the full list of criteria for referral agents click here.
How to Apply for the Vouchers
You must apply online by the due date – but be quick it is popular and the vouchers are limited.
When the round opens you will need the following information:
- a valid Centrelink Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession Card number, an applcation from the referral agents. You can find more information about referral agents here and you can find the form for referral agents to complete here.
- name, age and date of birth of the child/young person.
As it is an online process the application is determined online. If your application is successful the system will automatically generate the voucher on the final page of the application. The voucher will also be emailed to you.
What Sport and Recreation Clubs are participating?
There is an extensive list of clubs that accept the vouchers – from abseling to wrestling – all over Queensland. More are being added all the time. For a full list of the clubs, which you can sort by postcode and/or sport, click here.
Using the Government Sport Vouchers
Once you have determined that your chosen club accepts the vouchers and you have recieved your Government Sport Vouchers, you then must present the voucher to your chosen club.
- Ensure the club is on the list as one that accepts the vouchers
- Present to the club at time of registration and before the expiry date
- The voucher will cover the costs of membership and/or participation up to the value of $150 – the parent/carer must cover any additional costs and if it is less than $150 no cash value will remain on the unused portion of the voucher
Important Dates for Round 13
- Round 13 applications open early in 2019. Keep track of important deadlines via this link.
Dates for Future Rounds for Government Sport Vouchers
At the moment, there is no futher information for futher rounds. But watch this space, we will keep you posted!
Am I eligible for the Get Started Vouchers?
To find out if your family is eligible for the Get Started Vouchers – click here.
Remember, vouchers are issued on a first come first servied basis and there are a limited number of vouchers allocated per round. Once they run out, there are no further vouchers, so get in quick!