In this article, we’ll explain a range of different hobbies for women (who may be mums) that you can enjoy around your family time. It doesn’t matter if you are a stay at home mum, a single mum or a new mum looking for a hobby, our list will help you find the perfect hobby.
Being a mum is a big job, from sunrise to sunset, our days are a whirlwind of responsibilities, juggling the roles of caregiver, organiser, and problem-solver. If your mornings are anything like mine, they often kick off with a flurry of activity, orchestrating breakfasts, school drop-offs, and tackling the day’s to-do list.
Then, as the day progresses, we switch to multitasking mode, managing household chores, coordinating schedules, and providing emotional support to other family members and loved ones. It can seem endless. Starting a hobby may seem like an impossible feat. But, it is important to carve out some ‘me time’ to nurture your own soul.
What hobby should you choose?
So, the first step is to ask yourself, what sort of things do you like to do?
- Are you social?
- Do you prefer your own company?
- Do you like to use your body or prefer to use your brain?
- What hobbies and interests have you had in the past?
Maybe do a free personality quiz, brain storm or reflect and use that to start from. Research shows that creating with your hands on a task that is not cognitively demanding, it gives the mind a chance to relax and rest.
Here we will tell you about a range of hobbies for mums that can bring joy and relaxation to your busy life. Some of these you may even turn into a business to make some extra money!
Hobbies for mums – outdoors
Try these outdoor hobbies for women:
- Stand up paddle boarding
- Learn to kayak – we know where you can kayak in Brisbane and on the Sunshine Coast.
- Join a running club
- Join a tennis or golf club
- Volunteer with the State Emergency Services a local animal shelter or Guide Dogs Australia (or find something else at Volunteering QLD)
- Join a bushcare group
- Get a plot at a community garden
- Hiking or nature walk groups
- Cycling clubs
- Photography clubs
- Bird-watching groups
- Join the astronomical society
- Learn to surf
- Learn to roller-skate or roller-blade
.Hobbies for mums – indoors
Try these indoor hobbies for women:
- Learn to sew
- Cake decorating
- Learn to play a musical instrument – ukulele is fun!
- Take singing lessons
- Join an acting class
- Salsa dancing
- Paint & sip classes
- Drawing classes
- Pottery classes
- Cooking classes
- Flower arranging
- Learn to write – try a course at the Queensland Writers Centre
- Learn a language – try Duolingo or find a local language class
- Join Toastmasters – improve your public speaking, communication and leadership skills
- Update and improve your computer skills
- Try woodworking classes
- Learn sign language
- Check out this range of fee-FREE TAFE classes
- Join a yoga or meditation class
- Learn crochet or knitting
- Find and join your local Women’s Shed
- Join a bowling league
Which hobby will you choose?
Whether you are looking for a hobby at home or hobbies for new mums, the key is to choose a hobby that aligns with your interests and preferences. So work out if you’re a social butterfly, enjoy solitary pursuits, prefer physical activities, or lean towards cerebral engagement before making your choice. Reflecting on past hobbies and interests, considering a personality quiz, or simply brainstorming can guide you toward the perfect fit.