It’s the end of the year and you deserve a break. We can make that a little easier for you by taking care of the packing for you … sort of. Well, we can tell you what to pack, we can’t promise your kids won’t go in an unpack it all behind you!
Summer holiday packing checklist
A summer getaway is fun for everyone, but making sure you have everything you need without packing the entire house can be a challenge.
Your holiday might involve the beach, picnics, dressing up, dressing down, chilly evenings, day trips, night trips … so what do you really need to take with you for the kids?
Families Magazine summer packing guide
The sensible stuff
- Insect repellent and sunblock – stock up when it’s cheap and don’t pay ‘holiday’ prices
- Sunglasses and hats for the whole family.
- Refillable water bottles to save you $$$
- Essential medications and a fully stocked First Aid Kit including pain relief for the kids
- Wet wipes. Lots of wet wipes
- Healthy snack options to save you spending money on junk on the road
- Your chargers. All of the chargers! Don’t forget to bring them home though
The fun stuff
- Board games – we mentioned a couple of good board games here
- Beach shade – umbrella or gazebo
- Colouring and activity books with pencils or crayons. Forget textas, you don’t need to be cleaning hotel walls and furnishings.
- Inflatables for creek floating
- Books or a loaded kindle
- A tablet – while you might want to disconnect on holidays, having Netflix on hand is super useful if the rain sets in
The essential stuff
- Tickets for travel and experiences – you can save by booking some things ahead
- Accommodation confirmation
- Vaild Passports and visas if heading overseas
- Travel insurance details
The wearable stuff
- Travelling clothes, think loose and comfortable for on the road or in the air
- Underwear and socks – this is easily washable in sinks, so don’t panic about how much
- Thongs or sandals PLUS more durable closed in shoes in case you go exploring PLUS shoes that are appropriate if you head out to dinner or an event
- Beach wear: swimwear and beach cover ups
- Going out clothes, depending on what you have planned you might need to dress up at least once
- At least one jumper/cardigan in case summer forgets what season it is
- Light long pants and sleeves as protection against mosquitos
- Please don’t forget the Babiators. Eye health even for kids, is uber-important, particularly in summer
However you’re spending this summer, we wish you health, happiness and tonnes of family fun!