Foodbank Brisbane Locations – Where to Go to Get or Give a Hand Up
Looking for “Foodbank Brisbane” locations? Whether you are in need of help or want to offer assistance, if you are looking for food banks Brisbane has lots to offer. Nobody in Brisbane should have to go hungry.
Foodbanks are available to all Queenslanders are who are in need. From food bank Redcliffe, to food parcels in Eight Mile Plains there will be a location in our list near you!
Our community is only as strong as its bonds; working together makes sure that life is that little bit easier for everyone.
What is a food bank?
You may have seen the Foodbank QLD collection cages in shopping centres, where donations of food can be placed for those in need. Foodbank is Australia’s largest food relief organisation feeding vulnerable Australians. They are there for Australians in times of emergency after floods and bushfires, and they continue to be there every day for Australians, providing relief to hundreds of thousands of people each month.
Foodbank is a food charity in Brisbane and they work with farmers and growers, manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers to supply food parcels to other charities, schools and families.
Getting free food hampers Brisbane and other places
Feeding yourself, and your family, when you’re struggling is the kind of problem that keeps you up at night. There is no shame in asking for help and there are plenty of places offering it. For food parcels and cheap groceries Brisbane has plenty of willing support.
Here are some of the Brisbane food bank partners and other charitable organisations you can go to for free food parcels in Brisbane. They include drop-in centres, food vans and food distribution outlets.
- Wesley Mission. (Fortitude Valley). Offering food parcels and emergency support. Ph: 1300 920 865
- 3rd Space Brisbane (New Farm). The 139 Club is a drop-in service for the homeless. Services include meals, showers, laundry, mail pickup, rest on day beds, storage facilities, second hand clothing, welfare support, financial relief, nurses and doctors (bulk bill), mental health outreach, Medicare staff, Centrelink staff, legal support, drug and alcohol outreach. Open weekdays. Ph: 3254 1144
- Brothers in Need (Food Vans and Mobile Kitchen Services) Ph: 0478 066 361. Frequents CBD.
- Communify Queensland. Emergency relief, childcare, social support, no-interest loans, crisis intervention, mental health support, food vouchers, free food. Red Hill, Paddington, Bardon, Milton, Mt Nebo, Auchenflower, The Gap, Ashgrove. Ph: (07) 3198 4410 or (07) 3510 2700
- Community Friends (West End). Free food: frozen dinners, fruit, vegetables, rice, pasta, canned food. Ph: 0418 754 900
- UCA St Andrews Uniting Church (CBD). Free two course meal for lunch every Saturday. Ph: 3221 2400
- Wesley Mission (Morningside). Offering food parcels and emergency support. Ph: 1300 920 865
- A Touch of Compassion (Carole Park). Shared meals, food parcels. Ph: 0421 792 315
- A Touch of Compassion (Marsden). Food van and mobile kitchen. Ph: 0421 792 315
- Belong (Acacia Ridge). Emergency relief, food vouchers, employment assistance, community development, housing resources, support groups. Ph: 3277 4893
- Access Street Vans (Mansfield). Christian charitable organisation. Food services, community outreach. Ph: (07) 3349 4555 or 0417 467 137
- ADRA Community Centres (Eight Mile Plains/Logan). Emergency assistance (including food and bill assistance if you pass the interview). Ph: (07) 3290 3011
- Citipointe Care (Carindale). Low cost emergency food hampers. 930-430. Ph: (07) 3343 8888
- Pacific Connect Support (Stones Corner). Offering FREE frozen meals to anyone in need during the Covid-19 crisis. Ph: (07) 3394 8303
- Lighthouse Care (Loganholme and Hillcrest). Cheap groceries (whole trolley $25) and up to 70% off items. Ph: (07) 3806 0639
- Tribe of Judah (Slacks Creek). Cheap groceries, heavily discounted. Ph: (07) 3290 3610
Looking for an outreach place closer to you? Enter your details at this link and see what you can find. Enter your details in this community directory to find a Brisbane food distribution centre near you.
How to help families in need
If you want to offer to donate food in Brisbane here is a list of locations:
Foodbank Queensland – Foodbank Brisbane drop-off locations
Foodbank Queensland are an organisation that works to combat this startling statistic – Every day, one in SIX Queenslanders go hungry. Of this number, a third are children.
You can help by organising the collection of non-perishable and canned goods. It might be an idea to do it as a group – your workplace, childcare centre, friendship group, church group or as a neighbourhood. Working together as a community to then give back is a great way to both bond and to encourage values like empathy and compassion.
There are a number of drop off places for goods collected for Foodbank Queensland. There are big drives in the lead up to Christmas but they also do collections throughout the year. The drop-off points are:
Office of Ross Vasta, Federal Member for Bonner – 69 Clara Street, Wynnum QLD 4178
Office of Joan Pease MP, State Member for Lytton – 100 Edith Street WYNNUM QLD 4178
Metropolitan Funerals – Wynnum – 57 Bay Terrace WYNNUM QLD 4178
To find out more information, follow this link to the Foodbank donations page.
Foodbank donation cages
You can find Foodbank locations, year round, at the following places:
- Aspley Hypermarket
- Margate Village
- Brookside Shopping Centre
- Redcliffe Peninsula Fair
- Stafford City Shopping Centre
- Arndale Shopping Centre
- Calmavale Central
- Cannon Hill KMart Plaza
- Capalaba Park
- Fairfield Gardens
- Mt Gravatt Plaza
- Sunnybank Hills Shopping Town
- Sunnybank Plaza
Volunteering you services at a food relief Brisbane centre
Contact any of the northside and southside organisations mentioned above to enquire about becoming a food-relief volunteer. Volunteers are required across all skill areas including cooking, packing, serving, delivering, collecting and personal support.
Who should I talk to if I need support?
If you need to access support, be it through a Foodbank Brisbane location or via other means, there are people that you can talk to.
Make an appointment with a bulk-billing GP (covered by Medicare) to discuss your personal situation. You may be entitled to free counseling sessions under Medicare.
Get in contact with Centrelink and explain your situation to see what payments and support services you might be able to access.
Reach out to organisations. If you’re experiencing domestic abuse, Share the Dignity have a wealth of wonderful resources that might be of assistance to you.
Foodbank Brisbane Christmas food drives
Organise with your local community to see if you can support those who aren’t as lucky. Every little bit counts, particularly in the Christmas season when things can feel really hard.
Christmas is often a time of year when many of us look outwards to see how we can be more responsive to the needs of vulnerable members of our community. If you’re looking for Christmas charity ideas or the Best Kids Charities to work with then we’ve got some extensive articles designed to help you connect.
Cheap Groceries Brisbane – A guide to Brisbane’s cheap grocery outlets