Quick, Simple and BEST Rice Salad Recipe
This really is the best rice salad recipe – super-simple to whip up and perfect for entertaining, family dinners and a great lunch box filler too. You’ll want to add this recipe to your repertoire, for sure.
- 2 cups (400 grams) uncooked rice
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 bunch shallots
- 2 large carrots
- 1 x 420g tin sweet corn kernels (or use fresh if you prefer)
- Soy sauce for dressing
Best Rice Salad Directions:
- Cook rice in preferred stock (I use a rice cooker to do this, but however you normally prepare rice is fine)
- Set cooked rice aside to cool – don’t rinse, you want rice to remain a little sticky.
- Prepare vegetables: drain corn kernels, peel and grate carrot, finely slice shallots (set some aside for garnish if you wish), finely dice capsicum.
- Once rice has cooled to room temperature, combine rice and vegetables together, adding a generous sloosh – technical term 😉 – of soy sauce to taste.
- Stir well, and serve.
The Nitty Gritty:
- You can use either brown or white rice for this recipe. Whatever you have in the pantry.
- As a salad this keeps and transports really well, making it perfect to take along for bbqs and picnics.
- We usually have this with asian marinated salmon or chicken. It’s great with the sticky sauce.
- Sealed well, this keeps for several days in the fridge making it a great lunch box filler. My kids enjoy it mixed through with a tin of tuna and/or some avocado.