VIDEO REVIEW: Ice Skating in Brisbane | Where to Take Your Kids Skating
Are you looking for places to go ice skating Brisbane style?
Ice Skating in Brisbane
Ice skating in Brisbane – it’s like bobsledding in Jamaica! It might not be the first school holiday or weekend activity that pops to mind but it’s an amazing family-friendly option that you might just love!
Brisbane Ice Skating At Festival | June/July school holidays
The Brisbane Skating At Festival in King George Square is on every day during the June/July school holidays – from morning until late in the evening.
There’s the huge ice skating rink, but that’s not all…
The Winter Festival will take over King George Square Brisbane so you can whizz down an ice slide in a snow tube for starters! At the Brisbane Skating At Festival, you can race your mates, or sit back and enjoy the thrilling winter ride!
There are also plenty of food and drink stalls around, so if you don’t fancy joining your kids on the ice you can grab a coffee and snack and watch from the sidelines, or chill for a while in the Après-Ski Bar.
Times vary, so check out the website for details. We also recommend booking in advance to secure your preferred time and date – this experience is going to be popular!
For more information about the Brisbane Skating At Festival click here.
FREE ice skating over the June/July 2018 school holidays
Get your skates on and visit Brisbane’s only FREE Ice Skating Rink & Toboggan Slide these school holidays.
Due to popular demand, one shopping centre in Brisbane is bringing back their annual winter school holiday event, and this time, it’s bigger and better, with a huge rink and giant tobogganing slide. Enjoy free entry, gear provided and friendly staff on hand to help. Click here to read more.
Ice skating options in Brisbane
Iceworld has two ice-skating rinks in Brisbane offering a variety of activities from lessons to birthday parties.
Fees vary but are around the $17 mark for adults, $15 for kids and $10 for little kids. Tuesday and Thursday mornings, mum can enjoy a coffee while the kids skate and family passes are available from $56 plus skate hire.
Iceworld Acacia Ridge
1179 Beaudesert Road, Acacia Ridge, QLD 4110
P: 07 3277 7563
2304 Sandgate Road, Boondall, QLD 4034
P: 07 3865 1694
Ice skating Brisbane lessons
- Iceworld hosts four skate schools per year as part of the Aussie Skate program. These are on Monday nights, Thursday afternoons and Saturday mornings. The fees are $104 per term.
- Ice-Hockey lessons are perfect for active teens and are available for kids over 12 and parents under 60.
- Curling lessons happen during the winter months only and at Boondall only
- Synchronised skating lessons are a great activity for siblings and involves glitter, dance and sparkles!
- Speed skating is not for the meek! Learn the fastest ice sport in the world and maybe compete at a national or international level (again with that image of Jamaican bobsledders!)
- Figure skating – the show stopper at the Olympics ever four years. Figure skating is a highly popular choice amongst kids and not only works a lot of muscles but is excellent for balance, flexibility and grace.
Why take kids ice skating?
Ice skating Brisbane boasts a broad range of health and developmental benefits and for kids (or parents) who don’t like to exercise, it’s a great way to get a workout without feeling like a work out. Benefits include:
- Builds a broad range of muscles including the Quadricep muscle group
- Can dramatically improve balance and co-ordination
- Can build stamina and cardio vascular health
- Can improve flexibility
- Figure skating improves upper body strength
- Is suitable for all levels from beginner to pro and encourages a life time love of the sport
Ice-skating may not be the first sport you think of when you think of our local climate but there are good options available to Brisbane families.
Check out our video – kids ice skating Brisbane style
Sound too cold?