Family Caravans and Campers – How To Survive Caravanning WIth Kids
Do the words family, caravans and campers sound like they shouldn’t go together? We’ve got a few hints and tips from a mother who has been there, seen that and lived to tell the tale. Here’s what you need to know before you hit the road with the crew in tow.
Family Caravans – Could you? Should you?
Imagine hitting the open road, wind in your hair, radio blasting and the kids… screaming in the backseat? Are you interested in having a great, relaxing adventure but worried it’s going to end up like National Lampoon’s Vacation?
We talked to a seasoned family caravans mama who gave us the low down on how to keep your cool, keep your eyes on the road and keep your sanity if you’re exploring the world of family caravans!
11 Hints and Tips to make family caravans work
Here’s what you’re looking for, straight from the horse’s mouth!
- Sleep is IMPORTANT. Avoid late nights and try to keep to your regular sleep schedule as much as possible. Camping and caravanning kids wake earlier (is there such a thing?!) so be warned!
- Find as many physical activities (swimming, climbing, running) as possible along the way to get those wriggles out
- Tech doesn’t have to be the enemy! iPads and DVD’s can be great as incentives or boredom busters if used wisely – change for the games room if you’re staying in a park with one is a must!
- Get arty! Drawing and colouring in are always good choices
- If your kids are older consider asking them to document the journey through journalling and photography
- Bikes, scooters and skateboards (and helmets!) can be brilliant in a caravan park
- Put that kid in water! Lakes, swimming pools and creeks turn a bored kid into a happy kid
- Games like UNO, puzzles and ball games can be a great way for your kids to meet other kids (a god-send when it comes to family caravans and camping!)
- Big4 parks often have playgrounds and water parks inside them – make choices that will work out best for your sanity in the long run!
- Camping with other families can be awesome or it can be awful – choose wisely as you don’t want an awkward falling out
- Walky Talkies can be an awesome old fashioned way of keeping in touch with your roaming kids and having fun as well
Family Caravans – got any tips?
Have you done it? Do you have any extra advice to add about how to make the holiday fun instead of blergh? Let us know in the comments! In the meantime, we’ve found the best place for discounted camping gear – Tentworld! Have a sneaky browse here!