Aspley State High School | Parent Fact Sheet
For Brisbane Schools Open Days – Click Here
Why Choose Aspley State High School?
Aspley State High School prides itself in the Arts, Sports and Hospitality. Aspley State High School believes students should take leadership by being actively engaged in their own learning strategies. Students work with teachers to set targets, demonstrating commitment to improve their learning; these important skills continue into their life well after school. Aspley State High School offers a safe and challenging learning environment that involves students, teachers and parents to understand the part they play in learning strategies. Classrooms are disciplined yet friendly, where students are encouraged to ask questions and seek feedback to improve their learning. The orderly classroom environment at Aspley State High School means teachers can focus on providing quality instruction to each student.
Additional Activities Offered
Arts & Music
· A school musical is performed every second year
· Students are entered into a variety of music competitions and events such as the annual Creative Generations On Stage.
· Instrumental Music Students compete in the ‘Qld Youth Music Awards Competition, Jazz n Up the Mall, and perform at local primary schools, retirement villages and community events
· Instrumental music lessons are offered in in Brass, Woodwind, Percussion and Strings, along with lunch time Guitar lessons.
· Extension Art classes are offered on a Tuesday after school for students with a passion for art.
· The school’s Performance Dance Team meet every week and compete in dance competitions.
· The school’s Drama Troupe meet each week and showcase work each semester.
Aspley State High School offers a range of sports activities and take part in swimming, cross country and athletic carnivals. Year 8 students compete against local High Schools in an Interschool Sports Competition every Tuesday afternoon. On Wednesday afternoons, year 10, 11 and 12 students play in District Sports Competitions.
The school’s hospitability students participate in the Chefs of the Future Competition every year. In 2010, Aspley State High School students took home the gold medal.
Extra-curriculum activities in science are offered to students including;
· UQ Science and Engineering Challenge
· SPARQ-ed – Students Performing Advanced Research Queensland
· Science Experience
· KISS – Kids Implementing Sustainable Science
· ASTE Extreme Science Experience
Facilities at Aspley State High School:
Students have access to the Information Services Centre, covered under the Business and Information Technology program. Three computer rooms are equipped with printers and scanners.
In terms of sports facilities, Aspley State High School has:
• Swimming pool
• Rugby League, Soccer and Cricket fields
• Cricket practice net
• 4 Basketball Courts
• 5 Tennis Courts
• An extensive gymnasium, with $70,000+ worth of gym equipment
• 6 Handball Courts
• 2 Netball Courts
• 5 Volleyball Courts
• Softball/Baseball field
• Rock Climbing Wall
Aspley State High School provides students with 2 Kitchens with commercial equipment, a textile room and refurbished woodwork, metalwork and graphic rooms.
Students have access to a designated dance studio, music room and drama room, 2 visual arts rooms and a school hall with sound and lighting.
Other info about Aspley State High School:
Support is given to students with a verified intellectual impairment to ensure they are given every opportunity to succeed in the school curriculum.
Other Local High Schools:
Mitchelton State High School
Sandgate District State High School
Pine Rivers State High School