Things to do on a Sunday | Ideas for Sunday in Brisbane
If you are looking for things to do on a Sunday that might not be the same as the ordinary, we’ve just had the BEST day out in Brisbane, and you can too!
Things to do on a Sunday in Brisbane
They say the best things in life are free, so today we took the day to use some of the facilities in Brisbane that are perfect for families and free! For the perfect day out on a Sunday where all you have to pay for is your lunch, then check out our family friendly itinerary:
- Free play in New Farm Park
- Free parking in Brunswick St
- Free City Hopper ride on the Brisbane River
- Buy your lunch at Eagle Street Pier
- Free play in City Botanic Gardens
- Free City Hopper ride back to Sydney St
Free play in New Farm Park
10am: Drive to New Farm Park and choose a parking spot on Brunswick Street alongside the park.
New Farm Park is a heritage-listed public park and if you put 137 Sydney Street, New Farm into your sat nav, that will get you close enough! The playground at New Farm Park is a favourite for families. It is just a short walk across the park if you park on Sydney Street or Brunswick Street.
New Farm Park facilities
- A sprawling (unfenced) playground set among the towering fig trees. The trees are perfect for climbing on and the playground includes swings, rockers, a fort and a big climbing frame.
- Lots of green space for games – bring the Frisbee or ball.
- Coffee cart for tired parents (or anyone else!)
- Plenty of shady spots for picnics or a snooze under a tree.
- A pretty riverbank for strolling along and watching the boats cruise by.
- A beautiful rose garden – the perfect spot for those family photos you’ve been meaning to take!
- An ornate bandstand dating back to the early 1900s which regularly hosts entertainment for park goers.
- A farmers market which springs to life at the neighbouring Powerhouse every Saturday morning with delicious fruit, vegetables and specialty foods for sale.
- Family friendly events, workshops and dining at the Powerhouse, especially during school holiday
It can get busy on a Sunday, so take our advice and do go early!
Free parking in Brunswick St on Sunday
Parking on Brunswick Street on a Sunday will mean that you are close to the park and playground and also a short walk to the Sydney Street Ferry stop. Check out the map above to see where we recommend to park for the best positioning for your ‘things to do on a Sunday’ day out!
Free City Hopper ride on the Brisbane River
12.15pm Leave the park to walk down to the end of Sydney Street (about a 10 – 15 minute walk from where you parked the car – recheck the map above).
12.30pm One of our favourite things to do on a Sunday is to hop on the FREE City Hopper and head up the Brisbane River to Eagle Street Pier. Current timings have it leaving on the hour and half hour, but check translink website to be certain. The Brisbane City Council CityCats also pull in to this ferry terminal, so be sure you are getting on the FREE City Hopper – the Captain will announce the vessel and its destinations, so you can always ask if you are not sure, or don’t hear the announcement!
Buy your lunch at Eagle Street Pier
12.50pm Eagle Street Pier is the fourth stop from Sydney Street on the FREE City Hopper and it is here you will find a plethora of family friendly restaurants. Eagle Street Pier is adding to its stylish and cool restaurants with a suite of family friendly restaurants (also cool, promise!).
Family friendly restaurants at Eagle Street include:
- Fratelli Famous – watch them make your designer pizza
- Bavarian Bier Café – kids eat free on Sunday (until 29/4/18)
- Grilld – delicious burgers
- Guzman Y Gomez – Mexican with the freshest Australian ingredients
- Nagomi – quick, fresh, healthy, delicious
- The Coffee Club – a firm family favourite
- 51st Street – burgers, sandwiches & salads – we ate here today
51st Street at Eagle Street Pier
1.00pm The newest addition to the family friendly dining at Eagle Street Pier, 51st Street does not disappoint! Today we chose from their extensive menu and were impressed with the speed of service, quality of the meals and how friendly their team was. The kids got a kids activity pack to keep them entertained, but they had barely opened it when the drinks arrived!
They say a picture speaks a thousand words, so how about 3 pictures:
If you’ve not considered revisiting Eagle Street Pier with kids, I would definitely think about it again. When you are looking for things to do on a Sunday, then the playgrounds at each end of our day, as well as the super fun City Hopper ride on the river really makes a stop at Eagle Street along the way a family friendly option!
Free play in the Brisbane Botanic Gardens sensory playground
2.15pm – Once you have finished your lunch (and drinks and dessert – honestly, try the desserts!) it is a short stroll over to the City Botanic Gardens and their amazing sensory playground!
Ride on toys, communication toys, sensory slides, visual play and even an amazing musical set up that is surprisingly inoffensive to parents! The playgrounds are jam packed with things to do for kids of all ages and are especially great for those with heightened sensory or special needs. Kids with mobility issues don’t miss out – with special attractions that are designed for wheelchair accessibility. There’s also a mums and bubs swing for very little people and bigger “ride on” attractions for older kids. Families of all ages and requirements will love this playground.
The Brisbane City Botanic Gardens playground is a stroll from the front gate and close to the public toilets and large shaded areas.
Free City Hopper ride back to Sydney Street
3.15pm – When the kids are just about worn out from the walk and the playground, it is really a lovely stroll back to the Eagle Street Pier to get the FREE City Hopper back to Sydney Street.
3.37pm – Currently the City Hopper leaves at 7 minutes past the hour and half hour. Do double check on translink as above! We arrived back at Sydney Street at 3.57pm and walked back to the car to drive home!
Things to do on a Sunday in Brisbane
Honestly!! It doesn’t really get much better than this! The weather was perfect, the playtime was perfect and the lunch was perfect!!
There are SO many things to do on a Sunday, but today might have been one of my favourite!! I highly recommend a day trip on the City Hopper and a visit to the playgrounds at each end. With a lunch at one of the family friendly restaurants at Eagle Street Pier, this really IS a fantastic and DIFFERENT thing to do on a Sunday with your family in Brisbane.
Let us know in comments if you do it… and what variations you made… you may also like our ‘things to do on a Saturday’ article – click here.