Fresh and fruity real fruit ice blocks made with real fruit and nothing else. Yay! Ice blocks that are good for you and delicious.
With no added sugar these make perfect birthday party treats, or keep a few in the freezer for after school cool-down on those sweaty summer days.
Recipe and images by Elise Clarkson from Pixels and Sunshine for Families Magazine – Gold Coast
Make real fruit ice blocks …
You will need:
- Ice block molds, or 8 plastic champagne flutes
- 8 paddle pop sticks
- Nutri Bullet, blender or food processor
Below are the fruit combinations I used for each layer. The beautiful thing with this recipe is that you can mix up the fruit combinations to suit your own – or your fussy eaters – taste.
(2 cups of chopped fruit for each colour)
- Red = strawberries
- Orange = mango and orange
- Yellow = banana and pineapple
- Green = green apple, cucumber and kiwi
- Purple = blueberries and watermelon
- Blitz up all your different fruit combinations in a blender or nutribullet
- If you are using plastic champagne flutes place them on a flat tray for freezing
Tip: I used some blue tack to secure my flutes to the tray and hold them in place
- Pour your first layer (approx 2-3 dessert spoons) into the mold or flutes
- Pop into the freezer for 1 hour or until frozen completely
- Do the same with the orange layer
- But only put it into the freezer for 30 minutes
- Once the orange layer is almost set, stick in the paddle pop sticks. It’s much easier to do this when it is partially frozen, than fighting with it when it’s 100 percent frozen!
- Then pop them back into the freezer to fully set
- Pop your next colour in and around the stick, pop back into freezer for an hour until set
- Repeat this process for each layer, allowing each colour to fully freeze before adding the next layer
- Freeze them for a final hour or overnight
Grab that lawn chair turn on the sprinkler and enjoy. Spring is here!
The Nitty Gritty:
- These take about 6 hours to make including freezing time, so make them in a bigger batch if you have a lot of mouths to feed
- There is no nasties, no added sugar, just real fruit yumminess
- Mix up the fruit combinations to your favourite fruit