Leek and Potato Soup | Recipe
I am not even joking when I say that my family literally beg me to make this leek and potato soup recipe for them in winter. Not only is it one of my favourite winter warmers, this leek and potato soup recipe is so simple and so tasty!
One of my favourite recipe websites is My Golden Pear – check it out!
Ingredients for leek and potato soup:
- 50 grams butter
- 4 leeks – roughly chopped using the white and light green parts
- 250 grams of bacon, finely cut
- 1 onion peeled and finely cut
- 3 cloves garlic – crushed
- 1 kg potatoes – peeled and roughly chopped into cubes
- 1.5 litres of chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, plus more for garnish if desired
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 250 mls thickened cream
- Chives, finely chopped (optional)
- Top and tail the leeks removing the dark green part at the top and the roots at the bottom. Slice the leeks in half and rinse thoroughly under cold water, pulling all the layers apart to remove any dirt or grit.
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot and add garlic, onion and bacon. Sautee the bacon, onions and garlic and once cooked add the leeks. Cook until the leeks are soft and wilted.
- Add the potatoes, stock and bay leaves as well as your seasoning – thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Stir while you bring to the boil, then cover and allow to simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove the bay leaves and the thyme then puree the soup with a blender (we use a hand held blender) until the soup is a smooth consistency.
- Finally add the thickened cream. You can use as much or as little as you desire but we think it tastes just right with 250mls!
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with crusty bread! Serves 6.
Check out my other favourite recipes below!
Easy family recipes
See our full range of easy mouthwatering recipes here.